Ross Care

If you are disabled or have a long-term illness, then you are eligible for buying some products without VAT for your own personal or domestic use. You aren’t eligible if you are elderly, frail but otherwise not disabled, and equally, you can’t claim if you have a temporary condition, such as a broken leg. It isn’t possible to claim exemption if you are buying for a number of people (for example, in a residential home), but you can claim if you are buying on behalf of someone else who meets the criteria, such as a parent buying products for the use of a child with a disability or someone buying for their partner. Charities may also be able to claim VAT exemption, when buying products that will be made available to a disabled person.

How do you get the products without paying VAT? You have to claim before you pay, and the supplier will then deduct the VAT from the price they charge you. Usually, this is done by completing and signing a form which states that you are eligible.

You can submit a VAT exemption form electronically here: